Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunday Funday

Things I've done today, as of 3:30 pm:

(1) Ran 2 miles
(2) Nothing

Nothing isn't entirely accurate ... I've watched both The Patriot and We Were Soldiers. It must be Mel Gibson's birthday or something ... I also caught bits and pieces of everyone's favorite middle child, Frankie Muniz, in the horror fest that is Stay Alive.

Sounds like a movie that features zombie Barry Gibbs chasing towns people via the electric slide. You could say this would be a simple zombie to evade - one that can only chase you by moving to left, to the right, now slide - but then again, aren't zombies usually really easy to avoid and yet people still screw it up?

Stay Alive is actually another one of those movies where some supernatural force exerts itself on the world via some new media - cell phones, the television or in this case, video games. Like we needed one, let alone the plethora of such movies that have been released in the last five or six years.

Anyway, the reason I even mention that Stay Alive was on is that I might have found a way to make these crap movies, which I actually watch on a regular basis, a little more interesting. Here's the plan ... Start watching the movie to get an idea of the general plot. Then, after the first commercial break, skip a section of the movie. Continue in this fashion, skipping every other section of the movie, but make sure you see the end.

What this does is create holes in the plot - unexplained new characters, references to events you know nothing about, etc. - which you can then find your own unique way to justify. In the case of Stay Alive, I know that I saw Frankie Muniz die. He was stabbed by some crazy looking lady in a red cloak. <> Here's Frankie Muniz saving the hero of the movie (some sorry excuse of an actor that I'm not familiar with) from same red cloaked lady. WTF?

I'm sure the movie explained this. I'm also sure that it was something really, impossibly dumb. But, since I skipped that part, I can invent whatever I want. Maybe Frankie Muniz is really a T1000, sent from the future to ... oh, well that's not very original, is it? Maybe he's ... no, that was the plot from Mad Max. Damn ... too much Mel Gibson today.

No comments: