Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Modern Age

Somehow or another, most likely something to do with the patterns of moving air in our atmosphere, today was about 20 degrees warmer than yesterday. This meant that I was able to get out on my road bike after work and cruise around a little bit.

As I was on my way home, I noticed a plane in the air above me and thought to myself - no big deal. No big deal? Yeah, it's only a few thousand tons of metal defying the basic principals of gravity and flying through the air. No big deal.

It struck me that there are a lot of 'no big deal' moments every day. In fact, I'm pretty sure I was riding on one. Bikes are amazing machines ... but so is the human body. Did you know that one gallon of gas contains 31,000 calories (don't ever drink gas ...) and that on those 31,000 calories you can travel only about 20 miles? Consider that a human on a bike traveling an average of 15 miles per hour would travel over 900 miles before they burned 31,000 calories. No big deal.

Well, I wasn't expecting to go all Discovery Channel on you, but there it is.

No comments: