Friday, April 17, 2009

If you try sometimes, you find you get what you need

Okay, I'm not a fan of the Stones by any stretch. Sure, they have some good songs but if I have to judge them on their whole catalog (I don't but I choose to) I just don't think they're that special.

This blog is not about the Rolling Stones. It's about me not knowing what to blog about, searching around the internet and stumbling on to this: a video of Jack Black dancing around like a fool to a song called You Can't Always Get What You Want on the childrens show Yo Gabba Gabba.

Now, I don't have kids, but I do know what Yo Gabba Gabba is because my favorite thing to do in the morning is listen to Free Beer and Hot Wings and they once talked about this show for at least 30 minutes.

By any account, this show must be pretty cool. After all, it does derive its name from a Ramones song. Plus, the likes of Elijah Wood , Mark Mothersbaugh, Of Montreal and Tony Hawk have all graced its stage (just in case you're not a fan of JB). They even teach kids to beatbox.

The more I talk about this show the more it fascinates me. I want to watch this. It's like some LSD infused cornicopea of knowledge that I just didn't have access to as a kid. There are cartoonish monsters, adults acting like they've had their mental age squashed down to that of a 3 year old, all the bright colors ... Sit me down with apple juice and crackers because I'm ready to get crazy with some kids day time television.

Speaking of LSD ...

Does anyone else find it strange that so many kids shows have blatantly obvious psychedelic drug influences? We all grew up with them too, this is not a new thing. Fraggle Rock might be the most prominent example of my generation, but here's a starter video (sorry for the low quality file, not my fault) on some of the originals from the 60s and 70s.

Okay the real blog ended with the bit about apple juice ... this was just an aside (or something like an aside).

No comments: