Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A threshold for Justice ...

Apparently, justice does know some bounds. Last month I got a ticket that I think was unwarranted. I went to the courthouse today to turn in my notice of my plea (not guilty) and saw the line for the actual court I would eventually have to go to should I turn in this plea and immediately decided to ask the clerk just how much I would have to pay if my plea was guilty. Sixty-six dollars? No, I think I'll go ahead and take my court date. Thanks. That being said, if she had said forty dollars, I probably would have paid and gotten the hell out of there.

It's funny that there's about a twenty-six dollar difference between my wanting what I feel is justice and me not wanting to deal with a bloated system that will, probably in the near future, destroy a whole day of my life as I stand in line with a bunch of strangers who were also stupid enough to plead not guilty or to have done something that didn't give them the option to bribe their way out of this mess.

What have I done ...

No comments: