Thursday, May 14, 2009

Glory Road, and every other sports movie for that matter

Sports movies are ridiculous. I'm about to go to sleep, but the movie Glory Road is on TNT right now. I'm sure this is a very touching story and it is based on a true one, so maybe the argument that I'm about to put forth is completely out of line, but here goes.

It's absolutely ridiculous to me what just happened on my television screen. They're playing basketball and ... oh wait ... so this movie is about the first NCAA team with an all-black lineup to win the national title. Anyway, they're out there playing #4 Iowa and getting blown out. All of the sudden they start playing *their* game. Now, I know what this really means, but in the movie it meant actually making the layups they tried instead of getting blocked, getting a few steals and, in general doing things that are everyone's game. It's ridiculous to exemplify some *different* style of basketball with what is essentially basketball. Making your shots and playing defense isn't some special brand of the sport that no one saw before 1966. It's just basketball.

All sports movies are like this. They're all absolutely ridiculous and all follow somewhat of the same story line. This is my judgement of this movie after watching all of five minutes of it. I'm sure it's spot on. I'm not being sarcastic.

I'm a little sarcastic.

No comments: