Thursday, August 27, 2009

Real quick , before I forget ...

Let me first say that I really don't like CSI. I guess I'm not into cop dramas in general, which is unfortunate because they represent a large percentage of what's on television these days. I'm currently watching a montage of science on CSI: NY. What happened just ten minutes before that is what really struck me because it happens so often in movies and on television.

Two cops are investigating the crime scene. One, collecting evidence. The other, with an impossibly deep stare set upon a piece of seemingly meaningless debris (in this case, broken glass).

Cop one: Hey. What are you doing over there?

Cop two: Oh, nothing.

Cop one: Well, you've been staring at that same piece of glass for five minutes. What's up? Do you want me to put that in an evidence bag?

Cop two: No, but I have an idea.

Cop one: Oh, yeah? What's that?

This is when cop two storms off in some sort of determined fashion without even acknowledging the questions. What drama! It really builds the suspense of what's coming.

The thing is, this never happens in real life. You tell someone you have an idea; they ask what it is; you tell them your idea. Pretty standard, really. If you told me you had an idea, then i asked you what it was and you just stormed off, I'd throw a shoe at you. A dirty one that wear when I mow the lawn.

This just outlines exactly why these shows suck. They're so unrealistic they border on ridiculous.

Okay. I feel like writing these blogs makes me sound like someone who sits on their couch all evening staring at the television. It's not true! I just end up watching these odd bits and pieces of things while I'm checking email ... and this is what happens.

No comments: